Thesis Tutorial

Just had a very interesting 90 minute tutorial with my two supervisors, which took the form of a very lively discussion and this entry is really just a brief note of some of the concepts that I can remember.

1. I should use this blog to record concepts as they occur to me, even they don’t make a lot of narrative sense at this stage. It’ll be a useful mine of information for the final chapter
  2. The Educational development unit is a site where negotiations between the university and the outside world are conducted
  3. I need to have a sense of why EDUs were set up in the first place as well as where they have gone.
  4. Adding an international dimension to the literature would be valuable – the issue of nomenclature I noticed in the literature survey is an interesting example.
  5. Other issues, such as sustainability, widening participation, globalisation should be mentioned, even if I am focussing on technology.
  6. There’s a contradiction between the driving force role and the quality control
  7. EDUs hold quite a lot of power, especially where technology is concerned, but by training colleagues in that technology they risk losing it.  But they also need to be able to communicate what they are talking about to prove their value to the wider community.
  8. Support services are very important clients of EDUs.
  9. I need to make some suggestions about appropriate external examiners.

There was a great deal more than this, and I dare say it’ll come back to me later on. However, what did come out was a committment by me to have a first draft ready by the end of October (gulp!)